T3.01, 300 Barangaroo Avenue, Barangaroo Sydney NSW 2000

Wine Wednesday


We’re staying in Piedmont (Piemonte) this week for the Cellar Pick of the Week. This week Jon is taking us to La Morra, a very tiny comune in the Province of Cuneo in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 50km southeast of Turin.

Cellar Pick of the Week: 2015 Roberto Voerzio Barbera D’Alba ‘Il Cerreto’
Origin: La Morra, Barbera d’Alba, Piemonte, Italy
Grape varietal: 100% Barbera

“A complex mix of fruit and savoury spices. The palate is rich and quite full-bodied. This wine is a powerful Barbera that will develop beautifully over the next 5 years.”

The winery was founded in 1986 in La Morra, a small town in the heart of the Langhe. Initially of only two hectares, it has expanded over the years to occupy 25, thanks to the purchase of vineyards located in the most prestigious cru of the area. A production that aims at excellence, characterized by obsessive care in the vineyard and by yields among the lowest in the whole Barolo area. Roberto Voerzio is a perfectionist with an international reputation for his Barolos and Barberas wines. His creations stand out for a meticulous winemaking process that starts from a very low vine yield. This means production is very limited and the winery produces fewer than 4,000 boxes per harvest. This is an iconic Italian winery that has moved away from the traditional style of the area and is committed to grape concentration and a woody expression.

Through respectful agriculture Roberto Voerzio achieves a perfect balance in the vineyard and a uniform ripening of all strains. High-density planting that results in extremely low yields but a grape that is guaranteed to be perfect for the preparation of Roberto Voerzio Barbera d’Alba Cerreto.

In the winery, they do not use any substance that could change the wine’s characteristics. Roberto Voerzio Barbera d’Alba Cerreto ferments spontaneously for 10 to 30 days, without yeasts in stainless steel tanks. Then, 30% is aged in new oak barrels and the remaining 70% in used barrels.

The colour of this wine is an intense ruby red one, and its smell contains rich and concentred hints of red fruit, plum, violet, spices, chocolate and liquorice. The taste is a full and a charming one with a great personality and persistence. Thanks to its taste, this wine is perfect in combination with refined platters of International cuisine, agnolotti, second platters based on meat and medium seasoned cheeses.


Delivered in 30mins

Related news

Wine Wednesday

- 2018 DOMAINE OUDIN CHABLIS 1er CRU 'VAUCOUPINS' - Oui Oui, we're going to Chablis! This week for our Cellar pick of the week, we're...

Read Article

Wine Wednesday

– TENUTA DI NOZZOLA CHIANTI CLASSICO DOCG 2018 – Generous aromas of macerated cherries and mature fresh fruit. Ample, full and assertive on the palate with … Continued

Read Article